Thursday, April 7, 2016

blocks done

I was sure glad to stitch the last set in seam for this quilt.  The pattern is Circle Game - (somewhat modified) by Jen Kingwell.  The blocks are done, pressed and trimmed - they are all ready to sew together.  Now to puzzle out the best arrangement for them - lol!
 
 This probably won't be the final arrangement but I'm getting close I think.  A friend and I took an afternoon and drove down to Okotoks to the charming quiltshop there. They had a sale - 20% off everything if you were wearing an apron.  I wore an apron!  And, found a good red for a narrow first border.  There should be nothing to stop me from getting the top together this weekend.
 I thought I would show side by side a couple of the blocks I made using the pattern and just a couple little changes.  These 2 are exactly the same but I split the diamonds into 4.
This one has string pieced melons and a four patch instead of a nine patch in the centre as well as being set on point. 
It was fun to play with the block patterns this way :0)

My friend that I've been sewing this quilt along with has her top together.  You can see how different hers looks in progress here.  It's been such a great learning experience!  We haven't picked out our next project to do together yet ... but we will!

Happy Quilting!!

13 comments:

Kyle said...

WOW! Fabulous! You've worked a long time on this. Can't wait to see it all stitched together.

Dawn said...

Congratulations, you will have a fun weekend. An apron outing is worth 20% off.

helen said...

It's beautiful!! I love the colors and am looking forward receiving the pattern book I ordered!
Congratulations!
Best wishes!

Barb said...

You must feel so proud and accomplished to finish this top. I love studying all the movement. Your color choices are neat.
Thanks for the link to your friends. It is so different.

Karen said...

The fabrics look like some Minnick and Simpson designed. Am I right?

Every Stitch said...

Such beautiful blocks Janet - I couldn't pick a favourite! Having all blocks different keeps it interesting and challenging doesn't it? Congratulations to you both :)

Radka said...

I am sure you'll get it right, it looks great :-)
xx

cityquilter grace said...

very nice..i am super impressed..i just did a block for the 365 challenge with mitered pieces on the outside and mine look nowhere near as perfect as yours...well done!

audrey said...

Fantastic work on your blocks! What a thrill to get them finished.:)

JohnR said...

Congratulations on your excellent fashion sense. For a 20% discount your apron must have been quite dazzling..!

Lori said...

Her quilt looks so different, but both are extremely lovely!

Teresa Rawson said...

These are such fantastic blocks and the Prairie Paisley line has enough contrast to really show the patterns to full advantage. So, so very lovely!

Cheri said...

OH Wow Janet. These blocks are so beautiful and interesting. A challenging quilt but so worth it in the end!