I am very happy to be handquilting again! Other than a few stitches in the doll swap quilt I made I haven't been handquilting since May when I finished up my Crowfoot quilt. I have really missed it.
It's a bit warm to have all this quilt on my lap in the summertime but I open the window and let the cool evening breeze in.
I won't mention how I basted this quilt. I'll let the picture disclose how big of a chicken and how resistant to change I am. Now that wretched part is done and there is nothing but fun ahead!
I wanted to try a wide backing so there wouldn't be any seams in the back to quilt through. I couldn't find any that suited and so I ordered this Moda muslin wide backing. I am happy with it so far but it sure shows all the wobbly stitches on the back. Maybe this will force me to be a bit more careful!
So far I am just outlining the applique. I'm not sure how I'm going to quilt the rest - I hope it speaks to me as I go :0)
My quilt patis project continues to grow. I love the colors and the pattern emerging but I am finding it a bit controlled - I usually like things to be a bit more scrappy than this. When I run out of those aqua fabrics I will know I'm done.
What is it about new projects? So exciting :0) This project is a result of my emergency sewing that I started back in December. I had a mini charm pack of Potluck and I started making hexies. Well this week the hexies became flowers and now I'm thinking about what to make with them. (and wishing I had bought 2 mini charm packs...)
I like them with this busy grey polka dot. I'm probably going to make a pouch or bag.
I love the bag with handles on the cover of this book that I repeatedly take out from the library but would need twice as many hexies to make it. (another mini charm pack...) I will play around with them until a plan forms.
This is the fabric I am going to use in my new quilt patis project. Pretty bright for me I know but so happy.
I got started today even though I'm not at the beach yet - I couldn't wait!
I've been studying and drawing squirrels for my Bird of Paradise border. This was the result. Now to stitch him down before he runs away :0)
I've been loving variety lately. Some days, like yesterday I worked on 5 different projects. I finished handpiecing this sunflower and I appliqued the centre onto it. It's not perfect but I did enjoy the process by the time I got to the end. I have more handpiecing planned :0) This block will become part of a small wallhanging once I figure the rest out.
I pieced the last star into my Patis star project. The top isn't finished as I want to put half hexagons in along the sides and add a border all around. The portable part of this project is now complete so I will be starting a new project with the quilt patis later this week. I simply must have some good handwork for the beach!
This is another new project. I bought a big piece of the blue floral a few years ago and it's been bothering me that its still sitting in a bin. The blocks are from the book "History Repeated". Right now I think I will use the blue floral for a zigzag setting but this may change:0) I need a lot of these blocks so there will be lots of time to think about it.
I was in the mood for these bright happy colors. It's summer - Yahoo!
I finally got the borders put onto this Lily quilt. I drove out to Canmore to the wonderful quilt shop there and I found a good cream fabric for the borders. It's not too yellow or dark and has only a little bit of pattern so the handquilting I am planning for this project will stand out. Now I can procrastinate about basting this... It's 85 inches square so it will take awhile.
I hate basting...
Since its an hour drive out there I thought I would make a day of it and I threw my bike in the van too so I could cycle to Banff after my shopping. It was a gorgeous day! The biking took just over 2 hours roundtrip and I loved every minute of it! It's such a scenic ride and the path is excellent.
So, I forgot to get enough fabric for binding while I was there. (must have been too excited about the bike ride) I almost wonder if red binding might suit it. I'll worry about that once its quilted - next year sometime if everything goes well :0)
It's been nearly 2 weeks since I took the last stitch in panel #12 of my Susan McCord Trailing Vines quilt. May and June are such busy months! I took the nearly finished top outside today for some pictures.
Out by the garden - not too much blooming yet.
I like it with a little sunshine dancing across it.
I've started on panel #13 - the last panel. Hopefully by the end of the summer this will be a finished top!
We went camping on the weekend. Our annual June trip to Shunda lake. I sat and sewed in my favorite spot. It was beautiful weather for some outdoor sewing by a mountain lake :0) I worked on a side border for my Bird of Paradise quilt.
My 2 older daughters and I hiked around the lake again this year. We were rewarded with these beauties on the very far side of the lake. These wild orchids are so exquisite :0)
The doll quilt that I made for the swap has arrived at it's destination. Katy's and my quilts crossed in the mail. Surprise - we had each others names!
So this is the little quilt I made for her. I wanted to use a variety of double pinks - my favorite repro color.
I was a bit pressed for time to get this little quilt done so I opted to do both machine quilting and handquilting to finish it. I went around the flying geese with the machine and did the center motif and the triangle quilting in the navy by hand.
Of course the binding had to be pink :0)
It was such a fun little project to plan and make. I look forward to the linkup on Lori's blog to see all the swap quilts together.